Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Haunted

Surrounded by the ghosts that haunt me
I no longer cover my head with my hands - in fear
Instead, I reach out
Embrace
Grab hold of the ghosts that want to tear my life apart
As they’ve done so many times before

I hold the ghosts with love and compassion
I forgive you, I forgive you
And because I forgive, you can no longer harm me
I am free

My arms hold the ghosts and the memories they embody
My love spreads over their coldness and warms them
It spreads over their unforgiving hearts
And forces them to empathize
They cannot resist my love

I hold the ghosts with love and compassion
I forgive you, I forgive you
And because I forgive, you can no longer harm me
I am free

The ghosts give one last effort to place me into darkness
To force me into silence and submission
I squeeze harder, love harder
…they know they have lost

I hold the ghosts with love and compassion
I forgive you, I forgive you
And because I forgive, you can no longer harm me
I am free

Unable to force their will upon me
They give in to my love
But I cannot force them out altogether
           Because they are me
           My memories haunt me; I haunt me
The ghosts and I are entwined forever

I hold the ghosts with love and compassion
I forgive you, I forgive you
And because I forgive, you can no longer harm me
I am free

©2013. Reflective Gypsy.

2 comments:

  1. This should be published and not just posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! As I continue with my writing projects, I will definitely keep that in mind.

      Delete